United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   X Series (X3, X5,X6) (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Catalytic converter theft (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38814)

Philja 01-15-2012 10:30 AM

Catalytic converter theft

Hi all,

The problem of catalytic converter theft has raised it's ugly head in my area. I have a 2004 X5 3.0i, does anyone have any idea if this model is vunerable to theft, obviously ground clearance is good but not sure how easy the cat is to get at. The local police say the removal can often be done in less than 90sec. on some cars. I am considering parking over a raised concrete slab but this will be difficult and wonder if needed. Anyone any ideas on vunerability of the X5 cat?

Regards Phil

DEATH2000 01-15-2012 01:51 PM

Welcome to United Bimmer Phil.

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone wanting to steal the catalytic converter in a vehicle. I'm used to hearing about has being stolen but not a cat. Do the local police have a memo or bulletin about this? I'd ask if they do, and ask for a copy. I would show that to your insurance company so they know what's going on as well. One good thing to do is to identify your cat with a special mark of some kind. Maybe scratching the last 7 digits of your vin into it? But make sure to take a picture of the mark for your records and proof. That way if it is stolen your insurance company will already know about the local thefts and as well you can show them that you took steps to help identify yours in the event of a theft.

Philja 01-15-2012 02:24 PM

Catalytic Converter Theft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEATH2000 (Post 195869)
Welcome to United Bimmer Phil.

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone wanting to steal the catalytic converter in a vehicle.

Hi, thanks for reply. Unfortunately it is not uncommon at certain times in the UK, mainly due to the rare metals tha cats contain, Google it and read the BBC news pages. It seems to go in phases and some areas are more targeted than others. Mainly 4X4s no doubt due to greater ground clearance and easier access. Land Rover Freelanders and Mitsubishi L200s seem to be common targets.

Phil

DEATH2000 01-15-2012 06:27 PM

Thats a suprise. What does a replacement Catalytic converter cost over their?

Philja 01-16-2012 04:16 PM

Catalytic Converter Theft

Not exactly sure but I've seen a typical price in the press of up to 1000GBP (600USD?). Hope I never have to find out!

Phil...

leeella 01-17-2012 03:39 PM

This is a common problem in the milton keynes area.
my son works at a theme park and they had 4 cars with the cat stolen

DEATH2000 01-17-2012 09:59 PM

Oh wow. What types of cars had them stolen? What metals are in a cat that they would want to steal them? I could understand copper being a hot commodity right now

Philja 01-18-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philja (Post 195996)
Not exactly sure but I've seen a typical price in the press of up to 1000GBP (600USD?). Hope I never have to find out!

Phil...

Ooopps missed a 1 out 1000GBP / 1600USD!

Phil...

Philja 01-18-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEATH2000 (Post 196075)
Oh wow. What types of cars had them stolen? What metals are in a cat that they would want to steal them? I could understand copper being a hot commodity right now

'Precious metals platinum, palladium and rhodium are coated onto this ceramic structure as catalysts'

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...ter-theft.html

I guess there is not much in each one but enough for the scumbags to weigh in at a dodgy scrap dealer.

Phil...

DEATH2000 01-29-2012 05:32 PM

Well platinum is rarer then gold at the moment an gold is worth over $1,000 an ounce. I can see why their stealing em. At my local pick n pull they cut em all out.