United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   problems w/ cruise control 1997 528i (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17583)

robmarsh 03-14-2010 10:07 PM

problems w/ cruise control 1997 528i

i have a 1997 528i and recently when i attempt to engage the cruise control i occasionally get a surge, as if i just floored the accelerator. it doesnt happen all the time, occasionally it works fine. i've had my mechanic reset the computer several times but it has not fixed the problem. my mechanic also gets no error code. it shows up as everything is fine. he has the computer specific for bmw's so i know the comp reading, of nothing wrong is accurate. anyone else ever expierence this or hear of this and any solutions? thanks, rob marsh

satchmo 04-10-2010 09:53 AM

Cruise control problems

Rob;
I have the same model 528i and I have had the same problem. The e39 528i came out in 1996 in Australia.
What I did to fix it was to removed the cruise control actuator, dismantled it and cleaned the feedback Potentiometer with alcohol and a pencil eraser.
Re-assembled, re-installed and it work like a charm.
Darwinite

robertbmarsh 04-12-2010 02:58 AM

many thanks

I will def. try that!!! Hope it works. Will get back to you re. the outcome.
Thanks again!!!
Rob

satchmo 04-12-2010 09:25 AM

cruise control layout

Rob;
If you send me your email address I will forward on to you a copy of a pdf file which details how to disassemble the cruise control actuator. I have to send it by email as it is around 2megs.
I can't locate the Http: location that i downloaded it from.
If it's o.k. by the moderators
Cheers
Max

robmarsh 04-26-2010 12:25 PM

cruise control

hi max, email is robertbmarsh@yahoo.com. would greatly appreciate it!
all the best rob

grannyroo 11-01-2010 03:21 PM

grannyroo

Hey, Rob,
I heard about this lady, Mary Hill, whose Bimmer took off on her when she engaged the cruise control. 3 kids were in the back seat when she slammed into a tree. They all died and she's in prison forever. One was her daughter. So I'd get that cruise control fixed before you end up with acell next to hers.
grannyroo
ps Post me if you hear of any others

bullh4 12-26-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo (Post 172213)
Rob;
I have the same model 528i and I have had the same problem. The e39 528i came out in 1996 in Australia.
What I did to fix it was to removed the cruise control actuator, dismantled it and cleaned the feedback Potentiometer with alcohol and a pencil eraser.
Re-assembled, re-installed and it work like a charm.
Darwinite

satchomo:172213
U an having the problem with my 97 540i. Could you send me the odf instructions?
Thanks,
Bill

DEATH2000 12-30-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyroo (Post 174444)
Hey, Rob,
I heard about this lady, Mary Hill, whose Bimmer took off on her when she engaged the cruise control. 3 kids were in the back seat when she slammed into a tree. They all died and she's in prison forever. One was her daughter. So I'd get that cruise control fixed before you end up with acell next to hers.
grannyroo
ps Post me if you hear of any others

I know this is an old post, but i feel i have to correct this. Your information about the crash being because of the "cruise control" is wrong. Thats what she said to police during the investigation. She went to prison for vehicular homicide because the investigation decided that she was at fault for the accident and was negilent in her driving. Eye witness statements provided to police said she was driving in an aggressive manner and speeding prior to the crash, and the one boy in the vehicle at the time of the crash had stated that he usually felt unsafe in her vehicle.

Read here for a full written account of what happened and the trial:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in765413.shtml

john2459 06-25-2012 09:16 AM

Could I get that PDF as well? I have an E39 with a cruise issue. Thanks
johnandtheresa2459@gmail.com