United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   door latch issue (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14282)

notallthere 03-08-2008 08:38 AM

door latch issue

I am having a problem with getting my door to latch it was cold last night and we had some freezing rain but I have never had anything like this happen to me before I was able to puch the door close and hit the lock button and its holding the door shut but you guys know what could be causing this

notallthere 03-08-2008 09:37 AM

ok I got it fixed looks like the accuator in there was frozen

I'm still getting used to how this car is put togeather being used gm and ford have left me thinking that all door latches are strickly mechanical well that proves me wrong

notallthere 03-08-2008 09:38 PM

well it looks like I spoke to soon its stuck again thats twice in one day this sucks well if anyone has had this issue and found out how to stop it from happening let me know we are having some pretty bad weather a bit of icing but let me know thanks

Numark318i 03-08-2008 09:42 PM

if it happens outside of the freezing temp then its the actuator. Mine acted up similarly for a while, and eventually left me with a door i couldnt use.

notallthere 03-08-2008 09:44 PM

how much did it run you to get that replaced

Numark318i 03-08-2008 09:51 PM

i got the actuator for $110 or so. But while i had the door open i have them replace my window regulator.

I think the door actuator and window regulator ran me $500 with parts and labor.

notallthere 03-08-2008 10:08 PM

looks like I should have saved the money I spent on the odd trim pieces ha oh well but I think it has alot to do with the weather at least I hope so its been colder and no issues but its been well evil here in ohio the last couple of days I think I'm going to look into a car cover for the nights due to not having a garage and well with it seeing some long periods of just sitting

if you can tell I'm just kinda sick of this and even sicker of the weather

Exilion 03-09-2008 08:39 PM

That sucks. If you can find a place and time to work on it, I'd try taking apart the door and trying to see how it's working/not working. However since I don't have much experience with your car I'll just serve as a bump for your thread. Hopefully it works out.

notallthere 03-09-2008 10:52 PM

well to the best I can figure its all due to the cold temps and moisture but if I am having probles now its going to need replaced before to long and by the end of the day yesterday it happend to me 3 times would have been 4 but after the third I decided I'm not going anywhere

Numark318i 03-10-2008 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exilion (Post 164694)
That sucks. If you can find a place and time to work on it, I'd try taking apart the door and trying to see how it's working/not working. However since I don't have much experience with your car I'll just serve as a bump for your thread. Hopefully it works out.

heh.

unless you have very good patience i dont recomend this. remeber you have side airbags. which makes it that much more complicated. and you cannot remove the door lock without removing the window regulator, which basically means the entire door is coming apart.

then if you forget something in the door, or a piece of plastic falls in there..itll rattle like none other.

ive been through this, took my 330's door apart like 5 times. and then i said fuck it and had it done professionally.

Exilion 03-10-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numark318i (Post 164710)
heh.

unless you have very good patience i dont recomend this. remeber you have side airbags. which makes it that much more complicated. and you cannot remove the door lock without removing the window regulator, which basically means the entire door is coming apart.

then if you forget something in the door, or a piece of plastic falls in there..itll rattle like none other.

ive been through this, took my 330's door apart like 5 times. and then i said fuck it and had it done professionally.

Oh yeah I keep forgetting cars have those... Sorry don't take my advice then unless you patience like he said.

notallthere 03-10-2008 09:39 AM

well I went out today did get in the car yesterday and the door works fine but its a little warmer today about 30 vs about 20 when this happened but well I will see what happens

JetBlack328i 03-10-2008 12:09 PM

what about trying to spray some electrical contact cleaner spray on the actuators...maybe you have moisture on them and when it gets cold enough they freeze..

notallthere 03-15-2008 07:37 PM

ok looks like I got it worked out I had to stop by the dealership and get them to replace the trim that goes around the shift book had them put a new one in cuz I knew I would brake the trim and well they did ha free parts woo but they sprayed some stuff on it and no more issue so I'm happy