United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E12, E28, E34, E39, E60 (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   RECALL 5-Series 1996-97 (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413)

Rooz 05-28-2005 05:36 PM

RECALL 5-Series 1996-97

Hey everyone, we got this letter in the mail for my mom's 97 540i, I though I would share it with all the other 5 series owners:

May, 2005

Recall Campaign No. 04v-183: Front Strut Plate

Dear BMW Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1996 and 1997 Model Year BMW 5-Series vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle and that this recall has not been performed on your automobile.

This notice was originally sent in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act during the period of May 2004- June 2004 to the registered owner (as ascertained from States of Motor Vehicle Registration date) BS, my mom has had her car for two 2 years and we never got this before. This mailing is intended as a follow-up.

We urge you to bring your vehicle to your Authorized BMW center for repair in this important safety matter as soon as possible.

DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT

The defect involves the front spring strut plate. In certain driving climates and operating conditions, such as long exposures to high ambient temperatures, high humidity and salty air, combined with prolonged periods of "stop and go" traffic, the material structure of the plate could be affected. In some cases, the strut plate could begin to crack, and eventually, could break. If this occurred, the plate could contact the tire. This could lead to a sudden loss of tire pressure or tire failure.

Do not leave this problem unattended. Depending upon traffic conditions and the driver's reactions, damage to a tire could reduce the ability to control the vehicle, increasing risks of a crash without warning.

then it gives some info for precautions....

DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR

The repair will consist of installing a retaining clip to the underside of the front spring strut plates of affected vehicles.

The repair will require approximately 1 hour. This work will be performed free of charge by your Authorized BMW center. Additional time may be required depending on the BMW center's scheduling and processing

Jrf786 05-29-2005 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooz
Hey everyone, we got this letter in the mail for my mom's 97 540i, I though I would share it with all the other 5 series owners:

May, 2005

Recall Campaign No. 04v-183: Front Strut Plate

Dear BMW Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1996 and 1997 Model Year BMW 5-Series vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle and that this recall has not been performed on your automobile.

This notice was originally sent in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act during the period of May 2004- June 2004 to the registered owner (as ascertained from States of Motor Vehicle Registration date) BS, my mom has had her car for two 2 years and we never got this before. This mailing is intended as a follow-up.

We urge you to bring your vehicle to your Authorized BMW center for repair in this important safety matter as soon as possible.

DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT

The defect involves the front spring strut plate. In certain driving climates and operating conditions, such as long exposures to high ambient temperatures, high humidity and salty air, combined with prolonged periods of "stop and go" traffic, the material structure of the plate could be affected. In some cases, the strut plate could begin to crack, and eventually, could break. If this occurred, the plate could contact the tire. This could lead to a sudden loss of tire pressure or tire failure.

Do not leave this problem unattended. Depending upon traffic conditions and the driver's reactions, damage to a tire could reduce the ability to control the vehicle, increasing risks of a crash without warning.

then it gives some info for precautions....

DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR

The repair will consist of installing a retaining clip to the underside of the front spring strut plates of affected vehicles.

The repair will require approximately 1 hour. This work will be performed free of charge by your Authorized BMW center. Additional time may be required depending on the BMW center's scheduling and processing

Thanks man, I'm gonna look into this. I havent gotten any letter but I've only had my car for 8 months. So who knows if the dealership I got it at(wasnt a bimmer dealership) had it fixed. Thanks man:)

Rooz 05-29-2005 04:19 PM

np, in it, it said that if you have already thise you can get re-embursed

witeshark 05-30-2005 12:36 AM

Wow. Very surprising - in Miami we need to know! :spin

Rooz 05-30-2005 10:08 AM

Yeah, it's kinda weird, we got one for my mom, but not one for my brother's 1997 528i.......

Rooz 06-07-2005 05:32 PM

My mom's 540i is going to BMW for this on the 15th, we anted a loaner bcs she obvously needs a car they said first day they could provide her one was the 15th..

komodo 06-07-2005 07:19 PM

What kind of loaner is she getting? :D

Rooz 06-07-2005 09:09 PM

I hope it's the one they gave us last time 330ci :D

528man 06-14-2005 06:51 PM

i have a 97 528. should i be interested in getting mine done too, or just wait for a letter. how should i go about this?

Rooz 06-14-2005 07:18 PM

I am going tomorrow, and my brother owns a 97 528i, I'll ask them about it, but he never got a letter either!

528man 06-15-2005 06:42 AM

wierd

Rooz 06-15-2005 04:00 PM

OK, did the recall on my mom's car. Dropped the car ~9 am and picked it up ~ 4pm. Everything including the loaner was free of charge. I asked them if a 97 528i would have to do this recall to, they said they can only find out for sure by them checking the vin. So you would need to call your local BMW dealership and ask them to verify your vin for any recalls

528man 06-15-2005 04:02 PM

thank you. will do.

V-tecKILLAH 05-22-2006 12:30 PM

The spring seat...In My '97 540 it was very weak, It cracked on me while in the middle of something very important. The stealer didn't want to sell it to me seperately so I had to buy 2 Front Shocks brand new.. Which is useless because I have Bilstein Sport shocks all the way around and just needed that one piece. The whole passenger side dropped, I puntured my tire and the spare in the trunk just to get me home...Every 5 series driver should look into checking this out... GREAT HEADS UP ROOZ!!!!!!!!!!!