United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   War and Politics    (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Stemcell research, and politics (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12319)

windinmyface2 09-10-2007 09:46 AM

Stemcell research, and politics

It seems everyone agree's on Fedeeral funding for Embryotic stemcell research except President Bush. Many private investor's have donated fund's, and many States have donated fund's, and the House, and Senate have both voted for it, but Pesident Bush has vetoed it three times. What do you think?

witeshark 09-10-2007 09:51 AM

I'm not sure the research is a good idea. I mean, could it be a way of opening a can of worms we know nothing about?

Exilion 09-10-2007 10:11 AM

Hey how many movies have there been about robots taking over the world and yet they are still researching AI.

Exilion 09-10-2007 10:14 AM

But to my main point. Is that a can of worms you don't want to open? Sometimes worms can be used for other things like catching fish, or in this instance learning more about tissues and how to repair them. We already have allot of stem cells just being frozen or thrown out. Maybe we should at least use the ones we have because they can no longer be used for anything else.

Dudesky 09-10-2007 10:17 AM

Before this conversation gets twisted, let's get the facts straight. It's not the research itself that Bush is against. His standpoint involves the ethical issue of destroying viable embryos for research.

Quote:

"As a result of private research, more than 60 genetically diverse stem cell lines already exist. I have concluded that we should allow federal funds to be used for research on these existing stem cell lines where the life and death decision has already been made, This allows us to explore the promise and potential of stem cell research without crossing a fundamental moral line by providing taxpayer funding that would sanction or encourage further destruction of human embryos that have at least the potential for life." --George W. Bush

windinmyface2 09-10-2007 11:05 AM

I think President Bush was in fear that it might promote abortions, which I think will continue anyway. I'm not bashing President Bush, but after reading much about the research, and the terrible diseases it could cure, and the things they have done already, I think it at least warrants Federal funding. Australia, and the UK are way a head of us last I heard.

Chris 09-10-2007 12:49 PM

Seems to me that the means are there to do the research. If the government has ethical issues with it, now is their chance to regulate it. Once other countries start using stem cell research to cure diseases, the US Government will be SOL when it comes to the states. and WHEN someone cures cancer with stem cells, the people WILL make the government make stem cell research legal here.

just my $.02

Exilion 09-10-2007 01:06 PM

Well basically morally the cells are already useless, but I see Bush's point. He can't just use federal funding for whatever he feels like. He has to listen to the people who gave him that money. So for the sake of science I'd say stop bitching and hand over the money. However Bush isn't in the best political standing and it may not be wise to piss off his remaining supporters.