United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geek Chat (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Building a Notebook... (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12191)

RSF5 08-26-2007 02:13 PM

Building a Notebook...

Okay so I'm thinking of getting a Barebones Notebook computer and then assembling all the other parts.

http://www.superwarehouse.com/images...MS1029DDVD.jpg

That is the one I'm looking at: MSI- MS 1029

It comes with the chassis, screen, motherboard, power source and that is about it.

I'll have to assembly a Hard Drive, processor, RAM, Wireless Card, Graphics card, etc.

What do you guys think should I go for it?

RSF5 08-26-2007 02:16 PM

I'm hoping to get an AMD 64 bit 2 Ghz processor, 2 Gig of ram, and 100-120 Gb HD, and 128 MB ATI Graphics card.

celsdogg 08-26-2007 05:43 PM

i was thinking about doing something like this since i build all my own desktops, but have yet to do so. the only thing i would worry about is special drivers and such for special laptop functions such as function keys, etc. this was also caused my hesitation to run linux on my current laptop, but it works fine and isnt causing any probs. i guess what im trying to say is that i worry about some laptop specific functions.

further than that tho, i think its a good idea. mose of your boutique laptop makers use models like this to build their laptops. often times you will see sager's, alienwares, voodoo pc's, etc. all look the same because they take chassis like the one your looking at and drop other components in it.

i like your choices; MSI is a good company IMHO, i am running a couple of their mobos right now. im not sure if you meant a diff processor tho, coz a single core athlon 64 is kinda old school, but i assume you mean a x2 or maybe a quad core? my only gripe with your setup would be your video card, i would go nVidia, but thats just my opinion. to each their own.

let us know what you decide to do.

RSF5 08-26-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celsdogg
i like your choices; MSI is a good company IMHO, i am running a couple of their mobos right now. im not sure if you meant a diff processor tho, coz a single core athlon 64 is kinda old school, but i assume you mean a x2 or maybe a quad core? my only gripe with your setup would be your video card, i would go nVidia, but thats just my opinion. to each their own.

let us know what you decide to do.

Why do suggest nVidia? And they suggest AMD Turion 64 bit processor for this motherboard, do you have a different suggestion? Trust me I'm learning here and I'd love to hear it.

celsdogg 08-26-2007 10:18 PM

^^^ the reason i suggest nvidia is because it has much better support in linux (something which may be of no concern :doh) and also because nvidia generally has better 3d performance than ati video cards (this is a gross generalization) but i have always wanted an ati all-in-wonder. i guess its mostly personal preference.

i didnt actually look up the unit you were looking at, so im not sure what that mobo can take, processor wise. the turion is a mobile processor and a decent one at that. if possible tho, i would suggest going with a slower (in clock speed) dual core processor than a single core processor with a faster clock. thus a turion x2.

Numark318i 08-26-2007 11:20 PM

wish i could help here. I didnt even know you could buy bare bones laptops to build.

heh learn something new every day.

Keep us updated im curious how this thing turns out.

RSF5 08-27-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

^^^ the reason i suggest nvidia is because it has much better support in linux (something which may be of no concern :doh) and also because nvidia generally has better 3d performance than ati video cards (this is a gross generalization) but i have always wanted an ati all-in-wonder. i guess its mostly personal preference.

i didnt actually look up the unit you were looking at, so im not sure what that mobo can take, processor wise. the turion is a mobile processor and a decent one at that. if possible tho, i would suggest going with a slower (in clock speed) dual core processor than a single core processor with a faster clock. thus a turion x2.

Well I will be using this one with Linux (every since learning how to use it, I'm never going back) this fact alone is saving me 250 dollars I don't have to pay for windows and 200 for other applications (office...).

I was already on the edge with going with nVidia so honestly thats enough reason for me.

I'm trying to get a balance of speed and mobility with my processor, (I sometimes use my computer for notes), and it would be impractical to have one that is fast a lightning but eats 1% of battery every 2 seconds.

celsdogg 08-27-2007 09:05 AM

:D well, if your using linux, definitely get an nvidia card. you will save yourself tons of hassle installing nvidia drivers over ati drivers. if using ubuntu, just type in "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx" into a command prompt and your good to go. or you can use synaptics! glad you like linux! :tup

im with you on power savings with the processor. i would prefer a mobile processor myself because without long battery life, a laptop is basically just a desktop. all im saying is dual core > single core. but a mobile proc is a given ;)

when i was in baghdad this fool in my platoon brought over a sager with every god damn power sucking amenity available. his batt only lasted an hour and 5 minutes. one day he fucked me over, so i fucked him over right back by using all the available power plugs in the noc. he was begging for an outlet. :throwrock

witeshark 08-27-2007 09:27 AM

+1 for Linux :clap :type

celsdogg 08-27-2007 10:22 AM

^^^ hey witey, u use a mac i think, right? based on *nix, osx is the shizzy its doggone self :tup

witeshark 08-27-2007 10:34 AM

Quote:

^^^ hey witey, u use a mac i think, right? based on *nix, osx is the shizzy its doggone self :tup

You got that right :nod

RSF5 08-27-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

:D well, if your using linux, definitely get an nvidia card. you will save yourself tons of hassle installing nvidia drivers over ati drivers. if using ubuntu, just type in "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx" into a command prompt and your good to go. or you can use synaptics! glad you like linux! :tup

Yeah, I'm still running Feisty Fawn over here and I absolutely love it. My comp. had gotten so bogged down over the years (had it for 3 1/2 with windows) with old files that when I reformatted with Linux it was like a breath of new life into the machine. Once I got over the learning curve (ie. File permissions, terminal commands, root access, mounting drives) it love it so much more than windows.

Alright then I'll go with a nVidia card when I start getting parts. And I'll shop around for the processor.

MTurboPower3 08-27-2007 01:49 PM

the notebook to build from is an alien warez, look thier website http://www.alienware.com/

RSF5 08-27-2007 06:33 PM

They aren't really computers use can build, their more just custom ones you order fully assembled. Alien Ware uses some of the same base chassis and mother boards I'm thinking of using. They just want to charge me more to assemble it and give it a little green alien head on the back.

celsdogg 08-27-2007 07:52 PM

^^^ +1. see post 3 MTP3.