United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   War and Politics    (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Get Rid Of This Subforum! (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11942)

drz 07-31-2007 11:54 AM

Get Rid Of This Subforum!

I enjoy debating war and politics at the personal level. However, we have tried very hard to keep our off-topic section free of such type of discussion for over two years.

UB.c is a slow forum. People don't come here because of the 'activity' or excitement of it. People keep coming because it is a safe, friendly environment -- one in which we are able to get long because we share an interest in BMWs and (for many) cars in general.

We have no control over the people who come in and post. This is an open forum. In real life, I always have to know something about the people with whom I am discussing these matters before I decide to venture into it.

I don't want a n00b coming in and saying insensitive, irresponsible crap that will scare away new members or even senior members.

UNITED BIMMER was created under the premise "For the members, by the members" or some cute horsecrap along those lines. If the new leadership had any idea of how to run a community -- not just how to use the software, but how to be an actual servant leader -- they would have at least made a poll to see if there was any interest in this subforum. I knew UB.c would turn into what they claimed it wasn't. But I hung around, hoping to be proven wrong. I wish that had happened.

bimmersunited 07-31-2007 12:03 PM

part of the nature of a forum is to have a close knit community as you say that knows each other's values.

But having only a few opinions doesn't open one's mind to the rest of the world's information - maybe you have only 2-3 people you talk to, maybe you dont' maybe you have 100s.

this forum needs some fun some activity, don't be mad, it's a good thing to talk openly about stuff you don't talk about day to day.

i know when i read stuff on here, i run and research it, that makes me more informed.

bimmersunited 07-31-2007 12:05 PM

also, as for the palestinian and jew commentary, everyone took it the wrong way, which is good.

how do you put a price on one life versus another?
how do you value one human being over another?
how do you value a single race over another?

Can you?
The answer is obvious - ironically the answer was that some people immediately jump to conclusions.

the answer was pretty obvious to me, but it showed some of the natural biases we have in our minds assuming that someone has one idea and not another.

keep your mind open and it will all be interesting reading and of course some heated debate...but that's fun.

drz 07-31-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmersunited
part of the nature of a forum is to have a close knit community as you say that knows each other's values.

But having only a few opinions doesn't open one's mind to the rest of the world's information - maybe you have only 2-3 people you talk to, maybe you dont' maybe you have 100s.

this forum needs some fun some activity, don't be mad, it's a good thing to talk openly about stuff you don't talk about day to day.

i know when i read stuff on here, i run and research it, that makes me more informed.

Okay. I see it now. We will get this whether we want it or not, because you want us to be enlightened. Thank you :shifty

Linds 07-31-2007 12:20 PM

I agree with drz. I don't see a need for this forum in this first place. People who have wanted to talk about politics before have always done so in the lounge. And it's not like there's an overabundance of topics in there that necessitated a forum be made specifically for politics.

It does feel like the administration is doing what they want without the consensus of the members.

bimmersunited 07-31-2007 12:30 PM

change is often shunned.
give it a try, if you don't like it, I'm sure the leadership will take your comments into account.
i'm just a mod givign my opinion.

c1apton 07-31-2007 12:33 PM

dump that sub forum - (I agree with DR & have voted in his poll)

Linds 07-31-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmersunited
change is often shunned.
give it a try, if you don't like it, I'm sure the leadership will take your comments into account.
i'm just a mod givign my opinion.

I don't think it's the change being shunned. I think it's the way it's been brought about.

scooter 07-31-2007 12:52 PM

this forum was created because i as many others are passionate about politics, this is a BMW forum and we are all aware of it and probably the number one reason we are all here but there is still a world around us and daily decision are affecting our lives everyday, i for one think these and many other issues are legitimate to discuss as long as its done intelligently and respectfully.

just the interest and debate this forum has sparked in a mere few hours tells me its a good idea and a great place to vent on what our elected officials are up to.

while you may not agree with the questions/debate keep it clean, keep it on topic and most off all DO NOT flame or bash, this is meant for us all to have a civilized exchange on a not so civilized subject in a not so civilized world.

just like cars we tend to be passionate about our politics and with good reason, all i ask is that you give it a try and most of all keep it clean, we can not all agree but we can agree to disagree.

c1apton 07-31-2007 12:59 PM

the only problem with that thought is - what about our fellow bimmer owners in Saudi Arabia, Italy, Germany, the UK, New Zealand & Japan to name a few. They don't give a rats ass about our politics - this forum has absolutely no place for politics.

CroCop> 07-31-2007 01:04 PM

+1 get rid of this shit

drz 07-31-2007 01:08 PM

I think the Lounge is sufficient for the rare few political threads that could hold up and not stir things up in a negative way.

I also think that being in this subforum would open the doors to allow these threads to go too far, whereas mods would be quicker to moderate them if they were in the main lounge.

Personally, I got really upset by bimmersunited's two threads: the one about homosexuals/transvestites/transsexuals in the army, and the one about whether a Jew or a Palestinian is better. As much as I still think we don't need a politics and war forum, I believe that even if we do have such subforum, neither of those threads fits as a political thread. They fit much less in a friendly international community.

Edit: And at least you could have spelled P-O-L-I-T-I-C-S correctly. Maybe we need a spelling and grammar sub-forum :dunno

scooter 07-31-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c1apton
the only problem with that thought is - what about our fellow bimmer owners in Saudi Arabia, Italy, Germany, the UK, New Zealand & Japan to name a few. They don't give a rats ass about our politics - this forum has absolutely no place for politics.

i disagree, im many forums im part of the very same members you want to exclude do take on an active role in the discussion since EVERYTHING our government does in its war on terrorism DIRECTLY affects the everyday lives of the people in the countries you mentioned, some are partners in our war and some are casualties of the same.

drz 07-31-2007 01:16 PM

Please join my new BMW enthusiast online board: www.UnitedWeLikeBimmersandTheirWerkz-forums.com, where we will dedicate ourselves to enjoy BMWs and bash other boards for not letting us do things the way we wanted. Two years from now, YOU -- yes, YOU -- could be starting your own board, helping the diaspora of Bimmerheads around the internet, and achieving ultimate online board water-down.

c1apton 07-31-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter
i disagree, im many forums im part of the very same members you want to exclude do take on an active role in the discussion since EVERYTHING our government does in its war on terrorism DIRECTLY affects the everyday lives of the people in the countries you mentioned, some are partners in our war and some are casualties of the same.

Who said anything about excluding them? - They're tired of hearing US arogance broadcast into their homes via TV, radio & the internet. The last thing they want to read about is more BS discussion in the forums of people that have the same passions - THEIR CARS. I don't know where you new mods get off w/this "holier than thou" attitude, but until you travel the world, and can say you've met these different cultures you better stick with things you know for sure.