United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW OEM Parts Department DIY's & FAQ's (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=208)
-   -   California Catalytic Converter: here how it is (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11017)

LPCapital 04-26-2007 12:08 AM

California Catalytic Converter: here how it is

Hi everyone,
I live near San Diego and my 1998 Z3 CEL went on because of a low catalytic converter efficiency. Finding information about what you can and cannot do in California when this happen it has been quite a challenge. There’s a lot of confusion and incorrect informations out there so here’s what I learned on this project.
1) Yes, California is dictating standard on emissions (thanks God!!!!)
2) No, you don't need to buy the original BMW
3) Be very careful of what you buy on the Internet
The CARB (California Air Pollution Board) dictate standards about various devices that affect emissions; one of them is the catalytic converter.
CARB said that no catalytic converter other then the OE can be sold, UNLESS it explicitly complies with the regulation and it has been tested to work with OBDII. If so CARG grant the producer of such converter with an exemption.
Quote from the CARB web site
“Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.”
There's only 1 company for our BMW other then the OE that is legal: it’s called Miller Catalyzer Corp (http://www.millercat.com/). You can check their authorization here (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...mktdevice.php).
The catalytic converter for my 1998 Z3 1.9 will cost me $650 + $100 core I'll get back once I turn in my old cat. I believe the OE from BMW was probably somewhere in the upper $1,500.
All Miller converters come with the required 5 years/50K miles warranty.
Only Miller and the OE from the BMW dealer are legal: everything else is NOT legal in California.
There's actually a third option: there's a website called www.convertergeek.com that sells converters legal in California. All they do is weld the universal Miller converter on the original pipes.
If you don't want to blow you new converter I would suggest changing both O2 sensors (they are responsible of the air-fuel leannes/richnes)
That's it. End of the story: is ether Miller or the OE BMW...

brien4787 04-26-2007 02:05 AM

I am guessing you work for Miller Catalyzer Corp...

This is your first, and probably only post....

Under tech talk / tutorial, diys, faqs....

Thread should probably be closed.

LPCapital 04-26-2007 02:25 PM

Well, I am guessing you work for BMW. Eheheh!!!

I was just posting about my experience.

It is my first post because I bought my car 3 months ago (before that I wasn't even in the US so I didn't really have to deal with any of the CARB regulation)

If you don't find my information useful, or you find them misleading, please let me know. If you believe it’s helpful for the community, please go ahead and close this thread.

If you know of any other catalytic converter other then Miller and OE that are legal in California for BMW, please let me know.

Dudesky 04-26-2007 04:23 PM

Actually, the price you got for that Miller was not too bad. I did a quick check w/ Pelican, and they sell it for $1200. There's also DEC which goes for about the same. We just have to wonder why your thread looks like a spammer post :dunno

LPCapital 04-26-2007 04:35 PM

Well, after brien4787 comment, I read my post again and I figured it sounds a little "marketing talk". My intension was genuine and only driven by trying to clear the confusion there is out there on the topic. Also, a little of frustration in receiving contradictory answers.

The original price they told me was $770 but they did price match with convertergeek.com

Oh, and btw, DEC are not legal in California. Btw, what's Pellican?

Dudesky 04-26-2007 06:23 PM

Wow. I'm not even gonna touch this one.

minnie 07-10-2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,
I live near San Diego and my 1998 Z3 CEL went on because of a low catalytic converter efficiency. Finding information about what you can and cannot do in California when this happen it has been quite a challenge. There’s a lot of confusion and incorrect informations out there so here’s what I learned on this project.
1) Yes, California is dictating standard on emissions (thanks God!!!!)
2) No, you don't need to buy the original BMW
3) Be very careful of what you buy on the Internet
The CARB (California Air Pollution Board) dictate standards about various devices that affect emissions; one of them is the catalytic converter.
CARB said that no catalytic converter other then the OE can be sold, UNLESS it explicitly complies with the regulation and it has been tested to work with OBDII. If so CARG grant the producer of such converter with an exemption.
Quote from the CARB web site
“Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles. Every Executive Order part or modification has an assigned number that can be verified by Smog Check stations, BAR Referee stations, or by the ARB.”
There's only 1 company for our BMW other then the OE that is legal: it’s called Miller Catalyzer Corp (http://www.millercat.com/). You can check their authorization here (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...mktdevice.php).
The catalytic converter for my 1998 Z3 1.9 will cost me $650 + $100 core I'll get back once I turn in my old cat. I believe the OE from BMW was probably somewhere in the upper $1,500.
All Miller converters come with the required 5 years/50K miles warranty.
Only Miller and the OE from the BMW dealer are legal: everything else is NOT legal in California.
There's actually a third option: there's a website called www.convertergeek.com that sells converters legal in California. All they do is weld the universal Miller converter on the original pipes.
If you don't want to blow you new converter I would suggest changing both O2 sensors (they are responsible of the air-fuel leannes/richnes)
That's it. End of the story: is ether Miller or the OE BMW...

My only question based from your number 2 experience is, why not using original bmw catalytic converter since it is more advisable?

:confused

LPCapital 09-11-2007 09:58 PM

Ok guys, I take back everything I said, I got a little too excited about it.
If you live in California and need a new cat I would kindly suggest the genuine BMW part.
With Miller I had the worst experience: they screw up my order twice, giving me a cat that was too long, then they gave me a third was the right length but it just fit horribly: the angles on the several turns are not right and it ends up being too close to the heat shield and when the car is low on RPM the cat & muffler rattles against it... Really poor crafting...
I am now debating what to do, but if you do need a new cat and you want to have it according to regulation, just stick with the OEM. It might be a couple 100s bucks more but you're saving yourself some headaches...
My sincere apologies if anyone got mislead to my previous post and have been disappointed

Numark318i 09-11-2007 10:09 PM

my county has no emmision regulations.

haha lake county ftmfw. We have the the cleanest air in California...no smog testing ftw.