United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum

United Bimmer Community - BMW Forum (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Coolant light (http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10043)

pottie 01-17-2007 10:05 AM

Coolant light

Hello there
I have this little annoying light keep came up once a while
it s a coolant light and I just service and change their radiator hose also some sensor down there and now appear that on the cold days the light is on again...but all temperature is okiee meant in normal condition...is there anyone have similar problems....
And one more thing is there anyone know what kind of Power Steering fluid need to be use in 2000 323i sedan....
Your help and time are appriciated...thanks.......

jms 01-17-2007 02:03 PM

with the engine cold, check the coolant level, you are probably down a little since you changed the hose. just be careful if you run it low on coolant you can crack the head and the temp sensor will never indicate a problem.

pottie 01-18-2007 09:20 AM

thanks mate i ll keep that in mind

c1apton 01-18-2007 10:48 AM

Did you bleed the system after changing hose? That's easily overlooked

Rooz 01-18-2007 11:22 AM

yeah, you might have some air trapped in the system that would cause it to throw a light from time to time...

jms 01-18-2007 03:27 PM

plus if it hasn't been done in a couple years I would consider a flush just to keep it running nice. I don't know about the e46 but the e36 you need to change the radiator after about 5-6 years because the plastic becomes brittle and it breaks down with disastrous results.

pottie 01-19-2007 09:35 AM

Guys thank you so much
I ll keep that in mind specially I ll be doing service for oil change pretty soon so I ll go ahead flush the whole things and replace with new fluid...
btw anyone of you familiar with what type of fluid for power steering cz I have read it in the cap and said ATF fluid only so want to make sure that the transmission fluid with dexron work for that
Again thank s for u re time and help

c1apton 01-19-2007 01:09 PM

Coolant should be flushed every other year and your PS fluid is Dexron atf (you can use about any of the dexrons available - latest is dexronIII but you can use the earlier versions - they're a little cheaper but make sure it says DEXRON):wiggle

pottie 01-19-2007 02:34 PM

Thank you for the confirmation buddy...i m glad I did used dexron to top off last time...This is a new project for me to learn and maintain cz is my wife who drive it...anyway thank s again and I ll definetly will flush those radiator fluid by the time i change the oil as well..

c1apton 01-19-2007 05:38 PM

also when adding PS fluid - after topping it off slowly turn steering wheel from left stop to right stop and back to left stop - barely touching the stops and just for a couple of secs each - this bleeds air from the system.