I had a very strong gasoline odor in the car, pulled off the back seat and opened up the port and discovered the fuel pump access port was swimming with gasoline. I dried it up and noticed that the negative wire through the port was slightly loose and wet. the fuel line leading from the port was wet for about 2" up and everything else looked to be in order.
my buddy Bill, had worked up an epoxy solution for it but it seems to be eroding away after about 2 years of service.
what did you use to seal up the gap around the wiring through the access port? I can't have a baby seat sitting over a potential bomb.