I bought a 1996 323i bmw in June and I was pretty happy about it, until the recent troubles I'm having.
First, after having travelled about 150 miles on the motorway (without any problem at all), when I finally arrived in the city centre the car suddenly lost a lot of power (making some kind of loud noise when I pressed the accelerator, and it wasn't possible to go above 30mph at all).
I read some other posts on the forum suggesting the problem could come from the MAF sensor, so I gave a try with the MAF plug disconnected and I got the exact same behaviour from the car. So I thought the MAF was the cause of the pain and I replaced it with a brand new one.
After the replacement, gosh! the problem wasn't solved! When the engine was cold, it ran nearly as normal but as soon as it it warmed up (after about a minute), it wasn't possible to go over 1000rpm on the 3rd gear any more (1500 with the 1st gear) and it really felt just like if no additional petrol was injected in the cylinders when the throttle opened up.
So I started to test the sensors with a multimeter. Some of the test required the engine to be started when I tried ... The engine cranks but no ignition at all!
Impossible to start the engine anymore !
I checked the followings:
- battery's voltage is a bit low (12V) but should be ok so far
- the fuel pump buzzes when I turn the ignition. When I pince the flexible pipe at the top of the fuel pump, I can feel the pressure at the moment of turning the ignition so I would say the pump looks ok
- the fuel and air filters have been replaced recently (before the troubles started)
- the fuses are ok
- there is 11.58V on the injectors
- no fault lamp is on on the instrument panel
- the sparking plugs have all been changed in June
I have no ELM 327 at the moment but I should receive one soon, hopefully it will tell me more about what is going on.
Any clue about what the problems could be ? could they be caused by a single fault ?
Thanks for your help !