My son's '02 325ci has been acting strangely lately. Symptoms are as follows:
- One HID light flickers intermittently at times
- Car will not start without warning even though OEM battery shows fully charged and receives proper consistent charging voltage from alternator
- When car has not started (twice recently) it starts when jumper cables are used.
- When car does not start, interior lights, radio and headlights do work. Attempting to start only generates a clicking sound from under the hood.
- Today, car started but transmission failure light came on and car went to what seemed like a "limp mode". Later, car started properly and transmission failure light went off and car was no longer in "limp mode".
After doing some research, I have narrowed things down to a bad starter or starter solenoid. I understand that to changes these out is a difficult DIY project. Any suggestions as to other possibilities? I did purchase a new battery just in case. Does anything in the above list of symptoms indicate that a new battery would help? Thanks!