If your steering makes strange noise in both ways, so right and left, for shure is the lack of the steering fluid, and you must add the fluid.
As far as I know (according to the my readings regarding the oils).
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is a multi-vehicle formula recommended for use in modern high performance automobiles, SUV's,
SUT's, vans and other light trucks requiring Mercon V performance levels
• Recommended by Imperial Oil l for use in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles. Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006
and newer GM's and for improved performance in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles
• Also recommended Imperial Oil for Fords that require a MERCON V fluid and for pre 2000 model years Ford light duty
• Surpasses the off-highway power transmission requirements of Allison C-4
• Suitable for Caterpillar TO-2 applications
• Recommended for use in any power steering unit where an ATF is required
I hope that this will somehow help you.