Hello everyone. I have a 1999 323i with 5-speed and 105,000 miles. I recently started experiencing a random group of problems with my car. I think it could be clutch wear but I am not really sure.
1. The car bogs when I am below 2000 rpms, usually around 1800rpms. It kind of "slips" and shudders. Sometimes it persists through 2000 all the way to 3000. Other times it just stops at 2000 and acceleration continues.
2. I have to ride the clutch a lot in first gear to get it to engage. Almost have to rev it to 2000 before I semi-drop the clutch to keep it from stalling.
3. I thought it was the spark plugs since it had been awhile, but I changed those out not a week ago and that didn't fix it. I am due for an oil change soon but I don't think that is part of the problem.
4. My clutch was replaced with a Sach's clutch about 30,000 miles ago.
5. Acceleration is a little slower than I remember. The tach needle almost shudders sometimes as it is accelerating.
6. Even more recently, within the past week (this has been going on for almost 3 weeks now), the car will all of a sudden throw a check engine light (little yellow one with the box and lines) and the car will shudder almost like the car is "gasping for air" or "tired". If I turn the car off and crank it again the problem is remedied.
Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? I am thinking new clutch but I wouldn't think I would need a new clutch that fast nor it would fix the shudder that I am getting and the check engine light problem.